From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dd says no space left on device
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 18:57:01
1 On Monday 16 May 2011 17:03:36 Stroller wrote:
2 > On 16/5/2011, at 4:35pm, Mick wrote:
3 > >> GParted is the next choice, then - I understand it to be more than "just
4 > >> a graphical front-end", and I don't think you'll have such good results
5 > >> trying to use command-line tools to expand NTFS partitions.
6 > >
7 > > ...
8 > > After your dd the data over to the new disk you will need to run
9 > > gparted as suggested by Stroller, or use ntfsresize which is what
10 > > gparted uses anyway.
11 >
12 > I believe that GParted uses the ntfsresize *libraries* directly, rather
13 > than the ntfsresize command-line program.
14 >
15 > I believe that's why GParted behaves *better* than ntfsresize - I'm sure
16 > there has been at least one occasion on which I found it better to use
17 > GParted than ntfsresize (which wouldn't do what I wanted).
18 >
19 > I made the quoted statement for a reason.
20
21 You could be right, I don't know what gparted runs exactly, but recall from
22 the gparted logs that it runs some sort of script where it sequentially runs
23 ntfsresize (the command, I suppose) --check, then performs a dry run with the
24 --no-action option, then --force to resize the fs and mark it for a
25 consistency check with chkdsk when it finally boots into MSWindows, then I
26 think it checks it again. This is all from memory, so it may do other stuff
27 too, like check for bad sectors, etc.
28
29 Did you check that the problems you experienced were not due to different
30 ntfsresize versions?
33 Regards,
34 Mick