From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to properly change CFLAGS ?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 21:31:59
1 Neil Bothwick schrieb:
2 > On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 22:51:43 +0200, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
3 >
4 >> Now I read about the fact that -O3 results in bigger binaries and isn't
5 >> at all guaranteed to give me a faster system. The bigger files result in
6 >> more load on IO, so this tells me that it puts the load on the
7 >> (relatively slow) 5400 rpm HDD I have in my laptop. OTOH I have "only"
8 >> 512 MB RAM in there so it seems interesting to me to go the -O2 way of
9 >> doing Gentoo ...
10 >
11 > I agree with Richard's response to the other other parts of your mail, but
12 > I'd also add that -O2 may not be the best setting for your system. -Os
13 > applies some of the optimisations of -O3 but also optimises for size. It
14 > is often the best setting for systems with slow memory and disk I/O, i.e.
15 > laptops.
16
17 After sending my initial posting I thought I should have mentioned the
18 details of that laptop, as there are older and newer, slower and faster
19 ones ...
20
21 I think mine is somehow middleclass these days (correct me ...):
22
23 Acer TM 634
24 P4-M 1.8GHz (cpu family : 15, model : 2)
25 512 MB RAM
26 30 GB 5200 rpm HDD
27
28 So it is not *that* constrained in terms of RAM and disk, I assume.
29
30 But I am also ready to go the -Os-way if you recommend/suggest it for my
31 system.
32
33 Thanks a lot, Stefan.
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list