From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to properly change CFLAGS ?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 03:14:14
1 On 8/21/06, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
2 > Acer TM 634
3 > P4-M 1.8GHz (cpu family : 15, model : 2)
4 > 512 MB RAM
5 > 30 GB 5200 rpm HDD
6
7 It's all relative. I have a 2.1Ghz Core Duo with 2G of RAM and a
8 160Gb HD, so *I* would consider your laptop, um, "underpowered". :-)
9
10 But I also run with -Os. The fact is that some things will run
11 slightly faster at -Os than -O2, and some things will be slightly
12 slower. The same applies comparing -O3 to -O2, or -O3 to -Os; it all
13 depends on what you are doing at the moment.
14
15 So you should not assume that -O3 is faster for some random task just
16 because it is "more optimized". It simply makes different trade-offs
17 than -O2 or -Os, and because of the way CPUs and caches work these
18 days, those trade-offs may help or hurt a particular segment of code.
19
20 FYI, in all of the tests I did, the performance was within 10% of the
21 median. The real deciding factor for me now is that -Os seems to take
22 much less time and memory to compile than -O2 or -O3. And being a
23 ~arch user, time-to-compile is a nice thing to reduce.
24
25 -Richard
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list