From: Daniel Troeder <daniel@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 09:20:02
1 Am Freitag, den 28.11.2008, 13:46 +0200 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2 > Any Linux defrag tool you encounter will have been written by a third party
3 > separate from the developers. It will move blocks around and update
4 > superblocks, the drive will have to be unmounted for that to work and a
5 > slight misunderstanding of how to do it will ruin data.
6 With one exception:
7 xfs_fsr ("filesystem reorganizer for XFS") which is hidden (on most
8 distros) in the "xfsdump"-package.
9
10 It is a tool written by the xfs-developers, to defrag xfs-partitions.
11 Most importantly it works (only) on mounted partitions!
12
13 It can be run from cron, to walk all your xfs-partitions at night and
14 continue where it left of yesterday.
15 It seems to be designed for very huge and hyperactive installations.
16
17 In the man page it notes: "In general we do not foresee the need to run
18 xfs_fsr on system partitions such as /, /boot and /usr as in general
19 these will not suffer from fragmentation."
20
21 Bye,
22 Daniel
25 PGP key: http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
26 # gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887