From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Process to resize ext3 file system at the command line?
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 19:00:54
1 On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 1:29 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 <SNIP>
4 >> At this point I was told:
5 >>
6 >> "Now, resize your filesystem to use the additional space."
7 >>
8 >> So, if at this point the end-block of sda6 isn't 976768064 but, let's
9 >> say, 700000000 because mdadm set it to something new, then using your
10 >> suggestion I guess I'd set it back to 976768064? I'm not comfortable
11 >> however that if I do that that whatever is out there beyond 700000000
12 >> is really formatted as ext3 and 'empty' as I don't know what the mdadm
13 >> conversion has done to it.
14 >
15 > Your resize would be applied not to /dev/sd?, but to /dev/md?. You
16 > don't need to worry about what that means on /dev/sd*; the filesystem
17 > you want to poke is on /dev/md*.
18 >
19 > file -s /dev/sd* /dev/md*
20 >
21 > --
22 > :wq
23
24 Yes, resize would be done to /dev/md?. I agree. However I don't
25 believe that I'd use Neil's suggestion of fdisk block numbers on
26 /dev/md, right? That doesn't make sense to me and I don't beleieve
27 Neil was suggesting anything like that.
28
29 I'm thinking that possibly the mdadm way to change the _size_ of a
30 RAID is to once again use the grow option:
31
32 <quote>
33 -G, --grow
34 Change the size or shape of an active array.
35 <quote>
36
37 I've not yet found any instructions that I trust to do it though, and
38 being that the instructions above came from, among others, Neil Brown
39 who manages mdadm I'm hesitant to go in my own direction. I'm just
40 looking before I leap.
41
42 And fortunately, if I decided to just blow away all three disks and
43 start from scratch I have very little at risk that way, and very
44 little risk as I will do backups of the RAID-1 onto an external USB
45 drive before I start this process anyway.
46
47 - Mark