From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] trouble with hi-res display and nouveau driver on *one* system
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 00:21:04
1 On Mon, May 12 2014, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, 11 May 2014 20:12:54 -0400, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
4 >
5 >> > ***IT'S LOADING BOTH NOUVEAU AND NV (NVIDIA BINARY BLOB)
6 >> > DRIVERS***.
7 >>
8 >> I am embarrassed to report that I missed that (perhaps nv is the nv
9 >> nvidia; but in any case it is loading two drivers, which is bad).
10 >> Thank you very much for this catch
11 >>
12 >> > Plan A) unmerge the Nvidia binary drivers
13 >>
14 >> I had done that initially
15 >
16 > nv is not the Nvidia binary driver, it is the 2D-only open source driver
17 > in XOrg. I expect you have nv in VIDEO_CARDS.
18
19 At one point perhaps but I did set to VIDEO_CARDS to just nouveau before
20 starting to convert.
21
22 >> > Plan B) if Plan A fails, manually remove
23 >> > /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/nv_drv.so
24 >>
25 >> This helped considerably.
26 >
27 > Until the next XOrg update, at which point it will be reinstalled and
28 > your problems will start again. Set VIDEO_CARDS correctly then do
29 >
30 > emerge -uavDN && emerge -ca
31
32 I have done this (more or less). I have
33 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--ask --deep --tree --verbose --jobs --load-average=3"
34
35 I did
36 emerge --changed-use --update --keep-going world
37 and
38 emerge --depclean --ask --ignore-default-opts
39
40 The problem remains (after a reboot).
41 Specifically, gdm/gnome-shell puts up the screensaver giving the time in
42 big characters and I can't get rid of it using the mouse or keyboard.
43 I also tried
44 /etc/init.d/gdm restart
45 with no improvement.
46