From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] trouble with hi-res display and nouveau driver on *one* system
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 08:33:11
1 On Sun, 11 May 2014 20:12:54 -0400, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2
3 > > ***IT'S LOADING BOTH NOUVEAU AND NV (NVIDIA BINARY BLOB)
4 > > DRIVERS***.
5 >
6 > I am embarrassed to report that I missed that (perhaps nv is the nv
7 > nvidia; but in any case it is loading two drivers, which is bad).
8 > Thank you very much for this catch
9 >
10 > > Plan A) unmerge the Nvidia binary drivers
11 >
12 > I had done that initially
13
14 nv is not the Nvidia binary driver, it is the 2D-only open source driver
15 in XOrg. I expect you have nv in VIDEO_CARDS.
16
17 > > Plan B) if Plan A fails, manually remove
18 > > /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/nv_drv.so
19 >
20 > This helped considerably.
21
22 Until the next XOrg update, at which point it will be reinstalled and
23 your problems will start again. Set VIDEO_CARDS correctly then do
24
25 emerge -uavDN && emerge -ca
29 Neil Bothwick
30