From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Xandros, EEE which partition to chroot
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 10:50:34
1 On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 19:22:46 -0700 (PDT), maxim wexler wrote:
2
3 > There are four partitions on the SSHD, sda1,2,3,4. sda1 is formatted
4 > ext2 and is the largest and contains the file system. sda2 is slightly
5 > smaller, formatted ext3 and also has a file system on it, but with
6 > fewer files. sda3 is very small, formatted fat32, and is empty. sda4 is
7 > formatted fat16, and is empty(I think, I wasn't able to mount it).
8 >
9 > Why do sda1 and sda2 have virtually the same files on them and why is
10 > one formatted ext2 and the other ext3?
11
12 sda1 and sda2 are combined as a Unionfs filesystem, one contains the base
13 install and the other is writeable for changes. That's why the restore
14 boot option is so fast, it just reformats the overlaid filesystem.
15
16 There isn't room to install Gentoo alongside Xandros on a 4GB Eee. Either
17 install Gentoo to an SD card for now or bite the bullet and wipe Xandros
18 before installation.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 "Bother," said Pooh as his Mercedes smashed into the tunnel support.