From: Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT: Any interest in a postfix/milter bridge?
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 02:33:19
1 I'm currently running postfix as my mail system. Unlike a recent post which
2 assumed that postfix was overkill compared to sendmail, I tend to feel the
3 opposite, that sendmail is bloated much more than the more simplified
4 postfix.
5
6 However, when looking for spam blockers, virus checkers, and other message
7 processors, you will typically find multiple sendmail milter implementations
8 as opposed to the postfix filter implementation.
9
10 Having investigated the milter API and having constructed some milters
11 myself, I currently believe that it should be possible to build a
12 postfix-milter bridge.
13
14 The milter side of the bridge would support the milter api for compiling
15 sendmail milter-based filters.
16
17 The postfix side would simply need to wrap a simple smtpd/smtp process that:
18
19 a) receives mail on the smtpd side.
20 b) pushes the mail through the milter via the bridge api.
21 c) sends the output of the milter back into postfix via the smtp side.
22
23 Obviously there are some timing issues, etc., to deal with as well as
24 whatever implications there are re: providing a milter-like API for postfix,
25 etc.
26
27 But assuming these could be resolved, is there general interest in such a
28 beast? Or am I the only one wishing I could integrate tools like MIMEDefang
29 into my postfix email system?
30
31 I would estimate the building of such a tool to take about 200 hours by
32 leveraging existing smtpd/smtp open source code, and am happy to invest that
33 time if there is some apparent interest in the community for such a tool.
34 I'm just a little leary of investing that amount of my time if there is no
35 real interest in it, just as I would not be willing to invest my time in
36 restoring a Pinto ;-)
37
38 Dave
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list