From: Matthias Langer <mlangc@×××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] firefox hangs frequently...
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 12:56:25
1 On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 13:07 +0800, fei huang wrote:
4 > On 5/26/06, Matthias Langer <mlangc@×××.at> wrote:
5 > On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 10:04 +0800, fei huang wrote:
6 > > I have seen wierd problems with binary packages.
7 > Have you
8 > > tried
9 > > compiling firefox from source yet?
10 > >
11 > > - --
12 > > Jeremy Olexa
13 > > (olexa@××××××.edu)
16 > > yes, It took me more than half an hour to compile it from
17 > source
18 > > last night, um....;--(
21 > > Maybe you should also
22 > > # emerge -av gentoolkit
23 > > # revdep-rebuild
24 > >
25 > > HTH,
26 > > Matthias
29 > > thank you for your help anyway, I already have gentoolkit
30 > installed, I
31 > > noticed the revdep-rebuild fix a lib file regarding to my
32 > nvidia
33 > > driver, I don't think it has any importance.
34 > > still have that problem...
35 > >
36 > > well, a lot of wierd problems after I come back to gentoo..
37 > seems much
38 > > work to do. ;-(
39 > >
40 > > PS: for now, I guess the problem is caused by some shared
41 > objects or
42 > > libs with wrong version, e.g. gcc. try to change a gcc
43 > profile....
44 > >
45 > Did you recently switched to a different version of gcc ?
46 >
47 > I upgraded gcc to version 3.4.5, but still use previous gcc 3.3.6
48 > profile.
49 > not switch actually.
50
51 If you do that, be sure to read
52 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml. Otherwise you may
53 completely break your system.
57 > Does firefox write anything to the terminal after crashing ?
58 >
59 > nothing, I also tried to start firefox through "strace", It stoped at
60 > "waitpid" system call, did not write anything after crashing.
61 > I've heard somebody compiling firefox with debug infomation, but I
62 > don't know
63 > how to use that~.
64
65 Should be done like this:
66
67 # echo "www-client/mozilla-firefox debug" >> /etc/portage/package.use
68 # vi /etc/make.conf
69 # add 'nostrip' to FEATURES
70 # emerge -av firefox
71
72 if you have gdb installed, you can:
73 $ gdb firefox
74 (gdb) run
75 if firefox crashes
76 (gdb) back
77
78 However, i would really advise you to follow the gcc upgrade guide and
79 switch to gcc-3.4.x. This is most likely to solve your problem.
80
81 Matthias
87 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list