From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] three quarter of network access with new root...
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 03:18:06
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> [17-03-06 03:39]:
2 > On Sunday 05 Mar 2017 15:51:37 tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > The standard phrase:
6 > > Still building...bla bla...new root...bla... :)
7 > >
8 > > The copy of the udev rules of the old root into the
9 > > new one...give me...hmmmm....network access...somehow...
10 > > (In any case: THX A LOT FOR THAT HINT! 8)
11 >
12 > I am sure there was an older news item explaining the persistent NIC naming.
13 > You could also add an option on the kernel line which has the same effect, but
14 > I can't recall (without googling) what the correct stanza is.
17 > > Several early services, which depend on network access fail
18 > > while booting, but a ping right after login worked.
19 > >
20 > > I am able to firefox the internet now...
21 > >
22 > > Which an exception: www.startpage.com
23 > >
24 > > :Server could not be found.
25 > >
26 > > Same, if I try to ping that beauty.
27 > > Other pages like www.heise.de worked
28 > > fine ... so it is not a missing DNS
29 > > configuration.
30 >
31 > http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/
32 >
33 > traceroute startpage.com
34 >
35 > ping -c 3 startpage.com
36 >
37 > nslookup startpage.com
38 >
39 > dig ANY startpage.com
40 >
41 > should show if it is an IP address problem, or a DNS resolution problem.
42 >
43 > --
44 > Regards,
45 > Mick
48 Hi Mick,
49
50 Thanks for your help ! :)
51
52 since
53
54 ping startpage.com
55
56 results in "unknown host" all the commands
57 will not be able to resolve startpage.com.
58
59 By the way:
60
61 dig ANY startpage.com
62
63 results in nothing even on my working old root.
64
65 Cheers
66 Meino