From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] three quarter of network access with new root...
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2017 18:48:52
1 On Sunday 05 Mar 2017 15:51:37 tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > The standard phrase:
5 > Still building...bla bla...new root...bla... :)
6 >
7 > The copy of the udev rules of the old root into the
8 > new one...give me...hmmmm....network access...somehow...
9 > (In any case: THX A LOT FOR THAT HINT! 8)
10
11 I am sure there was an older news item explaining the persistent NIC naming.
12 You could also add an option on the kernel line which has the same effect, but
13 I can't recall (without googling) what the correct stanza is.
16 > Several early services, which depend on network access fail
17 > while booting, but a ping right after login worked.
18 >
19 > I am able to firefox the internet now...
20 >
21 > Which an exception: www.startpage.com
22 >
23 > :Server could not be found.
24 >
25 > Same, if I try to ping that beauty.
26 > Other pages like www.heise.de worked
27 > fine ... so it is not a missing DNS
28 > configuration.
29
30 http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/
31
32 traceroute startpage.com
33
34 ping -c 3 startpage.com
35
36 nslookup startpage.com
37
38 dig ANY startpage.com
39
40 should show if it is an IP address problem, or a DNS resolution problem.
43 Regards,
44 Mick