From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fed up with Xorg + hal mess [SOLVED]
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 03:13:16
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Dale writes:
5 >> Alex Schuster wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key
8 >>>
11 >> That's the one. I think its either the second or third key that makes
12 >> it go back to a console. It is nice to know about. I have it taped to
13 >> my wall for reference. It beats having to pull the plug without a
14 >> proper shutdown.
17 > If only X hangs, you can go back to the console with Alt-SysRq-R, followed
18 > by Ctrl-Alt-Fn. If you just want to kill X, try Alt-SysRq-K. If the test
19 > mode does not work then, try the 'textmode' command (typing blindly in a
20 > text console), that may restore it.
21 >
22 > Wonko
27 Well, I upgraded to xorg-server-1.6 and guess what, it was a bust,
28 AGAIN. I moved xorg.conf, re-emerged the xf86-input-* stuff and it did
29 do a little better. I bumped the mouse and the pointer moved, then it
30 locked up and my fans started spinning up so I assume the CPU was going
31 nuts. I had to use the Aly SysReq keys to get back to a console. So, I
32 added -hal to my package.use file and re-emerged xorg-server and now it
33 works fine.
34
35 I hate to say it this way, but hal just plain sucks. I may play with it
36 some later but I'm getting sick of hal big time. It's starting to
37 really leave a bad taste in my mouth.
38
39 Dale
40