From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fed up with Xorg + hal mess [SOLVED]
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 20:53:41
1 Dale writes:
2
3 > Well, I upgraded to xorg-server-1.6 and guess what, it was a bust,
4 > AGAIN. I moved xorg.conf, re-emerged the xf86-input-* stuff and it did
5 > do a little better. I bumped the mouse and the pointer moved, then it
6 > locked up and my fans started spinning up so I assume the CPU was going
7 > nuts. I had to use the Aly SysReq keys to get back to a console. So,
8 > I added -hal to my package.use file and re-emerged xorg-server and now
9 > it works fine.
10 >
11 > I hate to say it this way, but hal just plain sucks. I may play with
12 > it some later but I'm getting sick of hal big time. It's starting to
13 > really leave a bad taste in my mouth.
14
15 I feel with you :) I recently tried xorg-server-1.6, too, with no
16 success.
17
18 At the moment I am away for two days from my machine, and so I am doing
19 the BIG update now. xorg-server is upgraded to 1.6.3.901-r2, I followed
20 the upgrade guide and also did the libxcb stuff. I removed then kdeprefix
21 use flag, unmerged all of kde-4.2, updated world, depcleaned. Now emerge
22 @kde-4.3 is running.
23 And then... we will see. Come on, Gentoo, surprise me, and give me a
24 running KDE 4.3 desktop with X and OpenGL and mouse and keyboard. That
25 would be great.
26
27 Wonko