From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: firefox.bin vs firefox
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 02:12:44
1 On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 23:59:59 +0200
2 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 18/12/2014 04:45, Harry Putnam wrote:
5 > > Is there any advantage one way or the other emerging firefox.bin vs
6 > > firefox?
7 >
8 > Depends on your needs:
9 >
10 > firefox:
11 > - pro: you get all the USE flags
12 > - pro: you don't get bundled libs from Mozilla, the ebuild can use
13 > system libs
14 > - pro: the compiled binaries are integrated into gentoo like other
15 > ebuilds
16 > - con: slow compiles. I have 8 i7 cores and 16G. the merge takes 20-35
17 > minutes...
18 >
19 > firefox-bin:
20 > - pro: fast install. It's a binary package
21 > - con: you get all of Mozilla's bundled libs
22 > - con: No USE, no choices. If Mozilla eg decides to ship with
23 > pulseaudio, then that is what you must have on your end
24 > - con: poor integration with the rest of your system. Files go where
25 > Mozilla says they go, the devs can only do so much to make stuff
26 > standard.
27
28 Those are good lists. The only thing I can think to add is that
29 firefox-bin is built with "Profile Guided Optimization"; the firefox
30 package has the pgo USE flag for that, but it's forced off because it
31 doesn't work and upstream doesn't support it.
32
33 Building with PGO roughly doubles compile time, as firefox has to be
34 built twice. I don't know what optimization gains there are.
35
36 > As I see it, go with firefox unless you can't spend the cpu cycles to
37 > build it locally. That's true of almost all -bin packages
38
39 +1