From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and kernel panics.
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 21:08:47
1 Jesús J. Guerrero Botella wrote:
2 > 2011/7/11 Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
3 >
4 >> Dale wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Bill Kenworthy wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 00:03 -0500, Dale wrote:
9 >>>>
10 >>>>> Mark Knecht wrote:
11 >>>>>
12 >>>>>> DAle,
13 >>>>>>
14 >>>> Hi Dale, not quite the same but something else to check - after my
15 >>>> 6monthly update round, I had two systems where FF refused to run - just
16 >>>> flashed up died. Erase .mozilla allowed one restart where I got a
17 >>>> window, any attempt to configure it killed FF.
18 >>>>
19 >>>> This is on gnome, not KDE so while symptoms differ, it may still be the
20 >>>> same root cause - some of the underlying packages needed rebuilding - it
21 >>>> was (maybe) nss and dev-lang/spidermonkey. Sorry, had a lot going on so
22 >>>> cant be more specific - it was strace that tipped me off (how I cant
23 >>>> remember).
24 >>>>
25 >>>> BillK
26 >>>>
27 >>>>
28 >>> I'm going to try a clean directory for it here in a minute. I'm going to
29 >>> back up my whole home directory for good measure.
30 >>>
31 >>> I'm not holding my breath but I'll cross my fingers just in case.
32 >>>
33 >>> Dale
34 >>>
35 >>> :-) :-)
36 >>>
37 >>>
38 >> OK. This is better. It seems to work. Can someone explain how a bad config
39 >> file in Firefox can cause a kernel panic? I thought things like this was
40 >> not possible? This sounds so windowish. o_O
41 >>
42 > We already explained you above in the other thread. That shouldn't be
43 > possible in a sane system. You haven't found the root of the problem,
44 > just the way to avoid it. The problem is in either the kernel (or one
45 > of its modules) or the hardware. Firefox (or any other userland
46 > program) has not the power to do this if the kernel doesn't allow it
47 > or a hardware failure doesn't screw up something.
52 Then I ask again, how does it do it? I have opened things, even things
53 I have NEVER opened before, and the only program that causes this that I
54 can find is Firefox. Is there something in the kernel that Firefox uses
55 that nothing else does and that thing is broken? If not, then it is
56 something besides the kernel. I have no idea myself what it is.
57
58 Might I add, Firefox has been running since before my last message last
59 night. No problems at all. I was sort of careful to try one thing at a
60 time whenever possible. The only thing I did this last time was to
61 start with a empty Firefox directory. Nothing else changed.
62
63 Still open to ideas tho.
64
65 Dale