From: "Jesús J. Guerrero Botella" <jesus.guerrero.botella@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and kernel panics.
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 09:08:09
1 2011/7/11 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Bill Kenworthy wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 00:03 -0500, Dale wrote:
7 >>>>
8 >>>> Mark Knecht wrote:
9 >>>>>
10 >>>>> DAle,
11 >>>
12 >>> Hi Dale, not quite the same but something else to check - after my
13 >>> 6monthly update round, I had two systems where FF refused to run - just
14 >>> flashed up died.  Erase .mozilla allowed one restart where I got a
15 >>> window, any attempt to configure it killed FF.
16 >>>
17 >>> This is on gnome, not KDE so while symptoms differ, it may still be the
18 >>> same root cause - some of the underlying packages needed rebuilding - it
19 >>> was (maybe) nss and dev-lang/spidermonkey.  Sorry, had a lot going on so
20 >>> cant be more specific - it was strace that tipped me off (how I cant
21 >>> remember).
22 >>>
23 >>> BillK
24 >>>
25 >>
26 >> I'm going to try a clean directory for it here in a minute.  I'm going to
27 >> back up my whole home directory for good measure.
28 >>
29 >> I'm not holding my breath but I'll cross my fingers just in case.
30 >>
31 >> Dale
32 >>
33 >> :-)  :-)
36 > OK.  This is better. It seems to work.  Can someone explain how a bad config
37 > file in Firefox can cause a kernel panic?  I thought things like this was
38 > not possible?  This sounds so windowish.  o_O
39
40 We already explained you above in the other thread. That shouldn't be
41 possible in a sane system. You haven't found the root of the problem,
42 just the way to avoid it. The problem is in either the kernel (or one
43 of its modules) or the hardware. Firefox (or any other userland
44 program) has not the power to do this if the kernel doesn't allow it
45 or a hardware failure doesn't screw up something.
49 Jesús Guerrero Botella