From: nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gcc upgrade
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 15:46:14
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Wednesday 14 July 2010 05:49:48 Valmor de Almeida wrote:
4 >> Mark Knecht wrote:
5 >> > On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 6:28 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> >> On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 4:52 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
7 >> >> wrote: <SNIP>
8 >> >>
9 >> >>> Unless he's the kind of guy who likes to rip his Ferrari apart for
10 >> >>> kicks and put it all back together again so that not even the factory
11 >> >>> can notice...
12 >> >>
13 >> >> Precisely... :-)
14 >> >
15 >> > Oh, and besides liking the smell of fresh baked 1 and 0's in the
16 >> > morning emerge -e @world was an easy way to solve my libpng problem.
17 >> > Woke up this morning to a freshly baked Gentoo machine.
18 >> >
19 >> > - Mark
20 >>
21 >> Exactly. My Ferrari is back with a brand new engine and no libpng issue.
24 > Lets follow this logic.
25 >
26 > You blindly wanted to re-emerge all of world because an over-reaching gcc
27 > upgrade guide said so. Coincidentally, there was a monumental libpng cock-up
28 > hanging around which emerge -e world just happened to fix.
29
30 And which could have been solved with revdep-rebuild (or at least
31 running it here after removing the previous version solved it - I just
32 followed flameeyes guide).
33
34 Emerge -e was like buying a new car when it would have been cheaper and
35 easier to just replace the fault part(s).
38 Nuno J. Silva
39 gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg