From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 21:37:27
1 On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 08:53:35 -0800
2 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I guess the other question that's lurking here for me is why do you
5 > have /usr on a separate partition? What's the usage model that drives
6 > a person to do that? The most I've ever done is move /usr/portage and
7 > /usr/src to other places. My /usr never has all that much in it beyond
8 > those two directories, along with maybe /usr/share. Would it not be
9 > easier for you in the long run to move /usr back to / and not have to
10 > deal with this question at all?
11
12 It should be moving in the other direction for stability reasons and
13 busybox is no full answer.
14
15 On OpenBSD which has the benefit of userland being part of it. All the
16 critical single user binaries are in root and built statically as much
17 as possible, maximising system reliability no matter the custom
18 requirements or packages.
19
20 The way I have it on OpenBSD
21
22 / ro
23
24 100 megabytes and I never need to fsck and can reliably fix all
25 but the most likely problem and snapshot quickly, though there is no
26 need as the kernel is rock solid.
27
28 /usr ro,nodev
29 ~600 megabytes that I almost never need to fsck even when I pull the
30 plug
31
32 /usr/local ro,nodev,nosuid
33 All installed packages go here and I can give users the ability to only
34 mount writeable this location. There are other plusses I won't bother
35 going into.
38 All the BSDs and debian stable (old and initramfs) still get's this
39 right with debian suggesting a seperate /usr during install in
40 compliance with the filesystem hiearchical standard and the upcoming
41 draft/version 3, which states the real technical and uptime benefits of
42 a seperate /usr.
43
44 https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/en/FHS
45
46 Unfortunately stability and security often only get's noticed and
47 chosen over other function when it's completely obliterated and has
48 stopped functioning alltogether.
49
50 When hard worked (including rusty russel) documents like this get
51 ignored when freedesktop.org is given so much credence even though
52 freedesktop.org is actually simply stating opinion without having
53 debate/comments on it's site and in contrast a combined root/usr has no
54 technical benefit not addressed elsewhere (grub etc..) and when the
55 issues in userland are far from insurmountable it is quite worrying and
56 I am grateful to those who have stood up against this and the trend
57 of added complexity into pid1/systemd and early boot.
58
59 What is also worrying is the recent trends of the kits, udisks
60 dropping features for months to get multiseat and dbus getting
61 everywhere like Windows and RPC.
62
63 I can take spread out documentation compared to OpenBSD but some of
64 these issues are quite rediculous, I just wish OpenBSD had more devs for
65 KMS and stable updates as it is perhaps due to being a smaller project
66 involving both core userland and kernel and with hard fast goals, far
67 better managed.