From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 16:57:08
1 On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > That's all true, hence my question. I'm not sure I want to use the very
4 > first version so I thought it worth asking first. Since it is a fork,
5 > one could think it would be safe enough but then again, it is the very
6 > first one. It is stable according to that but is it really?
9 But portage isn't telling you to use it. It's a decision you're taking
10 in reaction to how your machine is configured, correct? I think the
11 reason I'm not understanding even asking the question is that portage
12 hasn't _told_ you that you need to use it. I may well be wrong but
13 aren't you a stable user? Or are you running bleeding edge?
14
15 It's likely to be 6 months and probably far longer before there's any
16 push from portage to tell us switch to eudev, if ever.
17
18 I guess the other question that's lurking here for me is why do you
19 have /usr on a separate partition? What's the usage model that drives
20 a person to do that? The most I've ever done is move /usr/portage and
21 /usr/src to other places. My /usr never has all that much in it beyond
22 those two directories, along with maybe /usr/share. Would it not be
23 easier for you in the long run to move /usr back to / and not have to
24 deal with this question at all?
25
26 Just my 2 questioning cents,
27 Mark