From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emergency shutdown, how to?
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 18:16:05
1 Steven Lembark wrote:
2 >
3 > > Basically, this is not intended to be used to shutdown a puter on a
4 > > regular basis, unless you burn out P/S's on a daily basis. O-o
5 > >
6 > > Just didn't want someone to be using this on a regular basis and then
7 > > wondering why their system has a new nickname, FUBAR. :'(
8 >
9 > In most cases you'll find that 'shutdown -h now'
10 > takes only a few seconds. If you're typing againsed
11 > the clock and don't to it every day then the SysReq
12 > tecnhique is somewhat error prone.
13 >
14 > In most cases the stuff that can't handle a
15 > crash tends to live at higher runlevels anyway
16 > and gets stopped when you exit rl 3; stuff that
17 > gets started at boot time are more likely
18 > service daemons that can easily handle a reset.
19 > Even if your shutdown croaks halfway through
20 > the stuff, chances are that got shut down first
21 > was the most fragile anyway (e.g., databases
22 > that had to flush cache) and you got whatever
23 > you could cleaned up however fast you could do
24 > it and you live with the rest on restart.
28 Well, this one takes longer. Just the foldingathome takes about 20
29 seconds or more to shutdown. It can take over 60 seconds at times.
30 That service for some reason has to completely shutdown before the
31 others start to shutdown. The others will shutdown in parallel like I
32 have set up. Then there is all the other services that have to stop.
33 Quite literally, I only had seconds to shutdown since the P/S was
34 stinking like a skunk. I just needed to umnount the file systems and
35 power off as fast as possible. I didn't want to just pull the plug but
36 I needed a shutdown that fast.
37
38 Dale
39