From: Steven Lembark <lembark@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emergency shutdown, how to?
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 19:38:26
1 > Well, this one takes longer. Just the foldingathome takes about 20
2 > seconds or more to shutdown. It can take over 60 seconds at times.
3 > That service for some reason has to completely shutdown before the
4 > others start to shutdown. The others will shutdown in parallel like I
5 > have set up. Then there is all the other services that have to stop.
6 > Quite literally, I only had seconds to shutdown since the P/S was
7 > stinking like a skunk. I just needed to umnount the file systems and
8 > power off as fast as possible. I didn't want to just pull the plug but
9 > I needed a shutdown that fast.
10
11 Hackint the shutdowns to background the shutdown
12 op and return is usually pretty simple -- don't know
13 why more app's don't do that by default.
14
15 'halt' will get you down with little typing if you
16 want to bypass the init scripts; so will "kill -TERM 1".
17 Add a 'sync' before either of them and you'll probably
18 be able to come up with minimal trouble.
21 Steven Lembark +1 888 359 3508
22 Workhorse Computing 85-09 90th St
23 lembark@×××××××.com Woodhaven, NY 11421
24 --