From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Where are the AMD microcode updates for spectre?
Date: Sun, 20 May 2018 16:17:02
1 oh come on. Spectre on AMD isn't even much of a problem. Why the panic?
2
3 Also... be prepared for a lot of trouble with intel cpu's soon...
4
5 2018-05-20 15:07 GMT+02:00 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>:
6
7 > On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 4:59 AM Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >
9 > >> As far as I can tell there is no official AMD microcode update page, or
10 > any
11 > >> kind of official release notes. I'm not sure where linux-firmware
12 > actually
13 > >> gets the microcode files from (I'm sure they wouldn't load if they
14 > weren't
15 > >> genuine though). I can find no documentation as to what any of these
16 > >> updates actually do.
19 > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/
20 > linux-firmware.git/commit/?id=77101513943ef198e2050667c87abf19e6cbb1d8
21 >
22 > > Bulldozer and Zen updates!
23 >
24 > Nice to see, but again there is no indication of what these microcode
25 > updates actually do. Presumably they have something to do with Spectre,
26 > but there is no way to confirm that as far as I can tell.
27 >
28 > I get that not everything is open-source. At the very least they could
29 > have some release notes. Even NVidia has those...
30 >
31 > --
32 > Rich