From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Where are the AMD microcode updates for spectre?
Date: Sun, 20 May 2018 13:07:39
1 On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 4:59 AM Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 >> As far as I can tell there is no official AMD microcode update page, or
4 any
5 >> kind of official release notes. I'm not sure where linux-firmware
6 actually
7 >> gets the microcode files from (I'm sure they wouldn't load if they
8 weren't
9 >> genuine though). I can find no documentation as to what any of these
10 >> updates actually do.
13 https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/commit/?id=77101513943ef198e2050667c87abf19e6cbb1d8
14
15 > Bulldozer and Zen updates!
16
17 Nice to see, but again there is no indication of what these microcode
18 updates actually do. Presumably they have something to do with Spectre,
19 but there is no way to confirm that as far as I can tell.
20
21 I get that not everything is open-source. At the very least they could
22 have some release notes. Even NVidia has those...
25 Rich