From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What happened to OpenRC 0.9.6?
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 23:30:38
1 On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 06:15:14PM +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote
2 > On 11/28/2011 02:29 PM, Albert W. Hopkins wrote:
3 >
4 > > Sorry to add more to the whining but...
5 > >
6 > > Yes, you are in the testing tree. Yes, as a member of testing, *you*
7 > > expect things will occasionally break, and it is *your* job to test
8 > > things, break them, and report bugs.
9 >
10 > Generally true, but not when something is obviously broken. That means
11 > not even its upstream dev bothered to test it.
12
13 There aren't enough developers on the planet to test every possible
14 combination of testing ebuild, and non-recommended rc.conf option.
15
16 > ~arch is for "we think this works, but please give it a go in case there
17 > are problems". It's *not* for "we have no idea if this works because we
18 > didn't even try it once".
19
20 waltdnes@d531 ~ $ head /etc/rc.conf
21 # Global OpenRC configuration settings
22
23 # Set to "YES" if you want the rc system to try and start services
24 # in parallel for a slight speed improvement. When running in parallel we
25 # prefix the service output with its name as the output will get
26 # jumbled up.
27 # WARNING: whilst we have improved parallel, it can still potentially lock
28 # the boot process. Don't file bugs about this unless you can supply
29 # patches that fix it without breaking other things!
30 #rc_parallel="NO"
31
32 The developers tried it, and it worked on *THEIR SYSTEMS*. It appears
33 that even the developers don't dare run rc_parallel on their machines...
34 nuff said.
37 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>