From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: What happened to OpenRC 0.9.6?
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 16:17:02
1 On 11/28/2011 02:29 PM, Albert W. Hopkins wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2011-11-27 at 20:28 +0100, Andrea Conti wrote:
3 >> With 100% repeatability, mind you, which does raise same questions on
4 >> the amount of testing done before release. Yes, it's ~arch and
5 >> rc_parallel is explicitly marked "experimental", but it's not expected
6 >> to be completely and consistently broken, either.
7 >>
8 >> If that sounds like I'm ranting, it's because I just spent about an
9 >> hour
10 >> getting three machines affected by this problem back into working
11 >> state.
12 >>
13 >> If anyone still has it installed, it's time to sync and downgrade :)
14 >
15 > Sorry to add more to the whining but...
16 >
17 > Yes, you are in the testing tree. Yes, as a member of testing, *you*
18 > expect things will occasionally break, and it is *your* job to test
19 > things, break them, and report bugs.
20
21 Generally true, but not when something is obviously broken. That means
22 not even its upstream dev bothered to test it.
23
24 ~arch is for "we think this works, but please give it a go in case there
25 are problems". It's *not* for "we have no idea if this works because we
26 didn't even try it once".