From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] High-pitched sound from inside the PC when opening menus
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 15:25:01
1 On Wednesday 31 December 2008, 15:56, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2
3 > It's coming from the case, not the speakers.
4 >
5 > > BTW, this happens in both gentoo and windows xp for me.
6 >
7 > Same here. The sound is loudest when running the "Mother Nature" test
8 > of 3DMark 03. Happening with every card I ever tried (an old Radeon
9 > 9800, an X1950XT and my current HD4870). Could be the graphics cards
10 > then. But it would be interesting to know why this is happening.
11
12 Google for "coil whine" or "coil noise" and see if it applies to your
13 case. I had one Abit motherboard replaced because the noise it did was
14 really unbearable, although hearing it change pitch depending on what
15 you were doing was kind of cool.