From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] High-pitched sound from inside the PC when opening menus
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:56:22
1 Matt Harrison wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> This is a question that is off topic of course, but I'm not sure
4 >> *where* it would be on-topic. Considering that Gentoo users are also
5 >> often so-called "enthusiasts", I'll drop the question here ;)
6 >>
7 >> In KDE (3), when enabling the "fade" effect for menus, clicking on a
8 >> menu results in a faint, high-pitched tone coming from somewhere
9 >> inside the PC case. The tone lasts for the duration of the fade
10 >> effect (should about 0.2 seconds). This is happening on more than one
11 >> machines. You have to listen carefully to make out the sound, but
12 >> it's there.
13 >>
14 >> So the question is simple: where does the sound come from and why?
15 >
16 > I get something very similar when using any 3d application. I was
17 > thinking it is interference from the graphics device seeping into the
18 > sound card.
19
20 I also get this in some 3D apps, especially benchmarks.
23 > Do you have sound card and speakers connected, if so, does it come out
24 > of the speakers or is it internal to the case?
25
26 It's coming from the case, not the speakers.
29 > BTW, this happens in both gentoo and windows xp for me.
30
31 Same here. The sound is loudest when running the "Mother Nature" test
32 of 3DMark 03. Happening with every card I ever tried (an old Radeon
33 9800, an X1950XT and my current HD4870). Could be the graphics cards
34 then. But it would be interesting to know why this is happening.