From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Putting gentoo to work :)
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 19:11:02
1 Hi,
2
3 On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 19:43:16 +0200
4 "Alexandru Mincu" <mincua@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > My setup will look like this:
7 > big server with 2 or 3 gigabit ethernet cards and lots of sata drives in a
8 > big raid array.
9 > disk less workstations with 512mb or 1gb of ram, nvidia or integrated video
10 > and a gigabit ethernet card.
11 > and of course a gigabit ethernet switch.
12
13 Hm. Are those "diskless" workstations supposed to be thin clients (i.e.
14 just displays for applications running on the big iron)? Probably not,
15 I guess. So your "big iron" will probably be a file server. For serious
16 productive work either virtualize the web-, mail- and calender servers
17 or even better make them separate machines. It's easier to maintain the
18 pieces when each of them has its own environment. You'll also need a
19 lot of CPU power on the main rig just for getting the needed throughput.
20
21 If you're going to go that road, I would suggest to offer your client
22 terminals access to a common, NFS read-only shared root and individual
23 shares for home directories. Make a testing environment and regularly
24 make it the new root if it has proven to be stable. Always remember
25 that the common root file system is now a single point of failure for
26 the whole company's productivity.
27
28 > First of all let's start with the clients...
29 > I am a Gnome fan and I think it is better and simpler to use, but them if
30 > you have windows users that you want to put to use linux, kde might be a
31 > better option... although this is a matter of taste I would accept some
32 > suggestions(without killing each other here), bu please take in
33 > consideration all the things i want to add.
34
35 I don't think it's a big issue. Maybe others have more experience in
36 maintaining a common desktop environment in larger environments.
37
38 > Things required:
39 > Email,
40 > Calendar sharing,
41 > IM,
42 > Office suite,
43 > other bullshit managers use to put you to work(suggestions accepted here) :)
44 > Web browsing,
45 > A content management system
46
47 Should be possible in one way or another.
48
49 > I also think that some eye candy would be gr8 to have ... I tried both
50 > compiz and beryl, but none were stable for me... it's true i was using
51 > nvidia's beta driers but anyway. have any of you tried compiz or beryl?
52 > which one is really stable and ready to use for a company? Is the
53 > Xgl+(compiz|beryl) variant stable? I for one really liked beryl's features
54 > but it seems to be more unstable than compiz.
55
56 Hm, I don't know what kind of company we're talking about, but is this
57 really a mission critical issue? I think my boss would be scared and
58 thinking "heck, this guy has to much time for playing, let's give him
59 more work" -- but hey, I'm german and probably not supposed to have fun
60 at work :-)
61
62 > Now for updates .. which profile do you think would better suit a company ..
63 > should I use hardend gentoo? Is there a version of gentoo that keeps things
64 > down with the upgrades to stable packages or I should keep my own tree and
65 > sync only the stuff I want and test into it?
66 > Now the nice part,
67 > What about the disk less clients? is there a way to keep a stable file
68 > system for all the workstations without requiring to copy all the base files
69 > for each workstation? It would be nice to be able to dynamical add
70 > workstations to the network without requiring admin intervention...
71 > From what I have seen in the gentoo diskless faq it suggested doing an
72 > separate dir for each client in the network....
73
74 I would suggest to share the full root file system read-only by NFS
75 (i.e., probably just a chroot environment in which you maintain a
76 client-specific environment). It will be a bit of a PITA to get the
77 configuration for each specific client done in a sane way (writable,
78 client-specific NFS unionfs mount onto /etc and /var?) but easier than
79 maintaining N copies of the same stuff on the same RAID (after all, you
80 said "diskless clients", right?).
81
82 > What are the good points in using the system instead of using MS Windows
83 > (besides the money)?
84
85 They can't ever fire you. Really. They would lose productivity _and_ data.
86
87 > PS: Excuse my English.
88
89 Not that this means anything, but since I think I understood every
90 single word, I'd say it's excellent :-)
93 -hwh
94 --
95 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list