From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backup [Was: Old Firefox ebuild?]
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2016 11:22:15
1 On Sat, Oct 15, 2016 at 1:35 AM, Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On 2016-10-15 05:42, Kai Krakow wrote:
3 >
4 >> The backup source is my btrfs subvol 0. I can put the systemd units
5 >> for backup to github if you're interested.
6 >
7 > I'm not a systemd fan, so they wouldn't help me, but thanks for
8 > offering.
9
10 I'd be curious to see them; whether you use systemd or not units are
11 pretty trivial to read and make use of in scripts, cron entries, etc.
12
13 I just use snapper to manage snapshots if all I'm worried about is
14 casual deletion of files. Since I don't fully trust btrfs I also keep
15 a full rsnapshot (basically an rsync wrapper) of my btrfs volumes on a
16 local ext4.
19 > My priorities are different, and there are constraints resulting from my
20 > priorities as well as others.
21 >
22 > I am mostly worried about physical catastrophic damage (I live in
23 > earthquake country) and losing my personal data, which could not be
24 > recreated. So it has to be offsite, and because it's personal data it
25 > has to be encrypted. And I cannot make the trip to where it's stored
26 > every day.
27 >
28 > Given the time (including the trip) it takes to restore, I don't see the
29 > point of backing up static files which can be reinstalled from the
30 > distribution. Of course, I'm still learning gentoo and so it was easy
31 > for me to make the mistake of forgetting that files under /usr/portage
32 > aren't really in that catagory.
35 ++
36
37 What I really consider my "backups" are stored encrypted on amazon s3
38 using duplicity (which I highly recommend for this purpose).
39 Basically it amounts to /etc, and /home, with a number of exclusions
40 (media and cache). For media I care about like photos I include new
41 stuff in m duplicity backups, but as I accumulate reasonable chunks of
42 it I make a separate backup and store it offsite, and remove that
43 chunk from my duplicity backup. This prevents the daily-updated
44 backup pool from getting insanely large, while still maintaining an
45 offsite copy (since these files don't change over time).
46
47 I'd never spend the money to be doing cloud backup of /usr (other than
48 /usr/local). I have all my static configuration backed up, so I could
49 just restore that onto a stage 3 and run emerge -uDN world to get all
50 of that back.
51
52 If I did have an offsite server somewhere where storage costs weren't
53 a big deal then I'd probably be setting up replicas using
54 btrfs+zfs-send/receive. You can do that at minimal cost with
55 incrementals, and I could probably do the first clone on the local
56 LAN.
59 Rich