From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Backup [Was: Old Firefox ebuild?]
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2016 05:35:48
1 On 2016-10-15 05:42, Kai Krakow wrote:
2
3 > The backup source is my btrfs subvol 0. I can put the systemd units
4 > for backup to github if you're interested.
5
6 I'm not a systemd fan, so they wouldn't help me, but thanks for
7 offering.
8
9 My priorities are different, and there are constraints resulting from my
10 priorities as well as others.
11
12 I am mostly worried about physical catastrophic damage (I live in
13 earthquake country) and losing my personal data, which could not be
14 recreated. So it has to be offsite, and because it's personal data it
15 has to be encrypted. And I cannot make the trip to where it's stored
16 every day.
17
18 Given the time (including the trip) it takes to restore, I don't see the
19 point of backing up static files which can be reinstalled from the
20 distribution. Of course, I'm still learning gentoo and so it was easy
21 for me to make the mistake of forgetting that files under /usr/portage
22 aren't really in that catagory.
25 Please *no* private Cc: on mailing lists and newsgroups
26 Personal signed mail: please _encrypt_ and sign
27 Don't clear-text sign: http://cr.yp.to/smtp/8bitmime.html