From: Harm Geerts <harmgeerts@××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Dash as /bin/sh?
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 14:40:34
1 On Friday 01 September 2006 16:05, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 12:03:35 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > I saw no errors, so they are certainly WFM compliant :)
4 >
5 > Or not. The boot process worked fine, but some scripts started failing
6 > once the desktop was working. The first, somewhat appropriately, was
7 > sux. It works from a VC but errors out in an xterm with
8 >
9 > exec: 1: -l: not found
10 >
11 > I tried ash, only a few K larger than dash. This gave the same speed
12 > improvement and the same errors :(
13
14 You can force sux to use bash.
15 Just replace the first line in /usr/bin/sux with "#!/bin/bash"
16
17 You'd have to do the same for all scripts that depend on bash functionality.
18
19 Speaking of which, you probably should see the shell used in the scripts from
20 the sys-apps/baselayout package. All shell scripts use /bin/bash and
21 not /bin/sh.
22
23 So linking (d)ash as the default shell doesn't nearly have the impact you'd
24 like it to have.
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list