From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Dash as /bin/sh?
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 15:28:11
1 On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 16:33:01 +0200, Harm Geerts wrote:
2
3 > You can force sux to use bash.
4 > Just replace the first line in /usr/bin/sux with "#!/bin/bash"
5
6 That was the first thing I tried, it made no difference. A quick look at
7 sux shows it building a command to pas to exec that used $SHELL,. This is
8 probably where it's switching back to /bin/sh, but I'm not prepared to
9 spend much time looking for it to save 14 seconds.
10
11 > Speaking of which, you probably should see the shell used in the
12 > scripts from the sys-apps/baselayout package. All shell scripts
13 > use /bin/bash and not /bin/sh.
14 >
15 > So linking (d)ash as the default shell doesn't nearly have the impact
16 > you'd like it to have.
17
18 A 20% reduction in boot time is a reasonable impact IMO.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 ... "I dropped my toothpaste," Tom said, Crestfallen.