From: Harm Geerts <harmgeerts@××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Dash as /bin/sh?
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 02:11:22
1 On Friday 01 September 2006 17:21, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > > Speaking of which, you probably should see the shell used in the
3 > > scripts from the sys-apps/baselayout package. All shell scripts
4 > > use /bin/bash and not /bin/sh.
5 > >
6 > > So linking (d)ash as the default shell doesn't nearly have the impact
7 > > you'd like it to have.
8 >
9 > A 20% reduction in boot time is a reasonable impact IMO.
10
11 Any chance that was a fluke?
12
13 I've done a few reboots with bootchart to confirm this and I don't get any
14 speedup. In fact /bin/sh is never called because the gentoo init scripts
15 explicitly use bash. (sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.4-r7)
16 --
17 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list