From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Disk usage during emerge
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 19:29:14
1 On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Bryan Gardiner <bog@××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 09:09:37 -0800
3 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 7:33 AM, Paul Hartman
5 >> <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> >
7 >> > I just ran it, here's the output:
8 >> >
9 >> > Found 22 processes using old versions of upgraded files
10 >> > (15 distinct programs)
11 >> > (14 distinct packages)
12 >> >
13 >>
14 >> Is there a way inside of checkrestart to determine exactly which
15 >> processes it's telling you about? When I installed it at on Niko's
16 >> suggestion I had one package but I couldn't figure out which it was. A
17 >> reboot fixed that.
18 >>
19 >> Thanks,
20 >> Mark
23 > From Paul's output:
24 >> sys-apps/smartmontools:
25 >>         5082    /usr/sbin/smartd
26 >> sys-auth/consolekit:
27 >>         4384    /usr/sbin/console-kit-daemon
28 >
29 > This gives the package name, filename, and PID.  Are you looking for
30 > something else?
31 >
32 > - Bryan
35 Hi Bryan,
36 When I run checkrestart here I don't get all the output you saw in
37 Paul's post. Right now I have no problems so the output is boring:
38
39 c2stable ~ # checkrestart
40 Found 0 processes using old versions of upgraded files
41 c2stable ~ #
42
43 However earlier, when I had 1 old file in use checkrestart told me I
44 had 1 process that needed to be restarted but didn't tell me which
45 one. It did say something like
46
47 Read checkrestart(1)
48
49 which I took to be a man page, but I couldn't get anything to come up using man.
50
51 Cheers,
52 Mark