From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How-to AMD Sempron 3300+
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 01:04:38
1 Matteo Pillon wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 01:08:30PM +0200, Gian Domeni Calgeer wrote:
5 >
6 >> I can't tell you if this is normal, but sse3 isn't shown in my /proc/cpuinfo
7 >> either (neither is it in Gentoo nor was it in Debian before I switched to
8 >> Gentoo) (I have a Sempron 2800+). In some Benchmark program under W****** XP
9 >> (I don't remeber which one) it was stated that my Processor has SSE3, so I
10 >> guess it's a bug in the linux kernel.
13 > They aren't named sse3 in /proc/cpuinfo, they are 'pni' [1].
14 > I think they aren't named sse3 because they also include
15 > hyperthreading-specific instructions (not sure about this, I don't
16 > have Intel CPUs with sse3 to show evidences of this).
17 >
18 > Bye.
21 > [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prescott_New_Instructions
22 >
23 > PS: you know why Intel named its processor with the highest TDP ever,
24 > 'Prescott'? Just look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Prescott_Joule ;-).
27 After some google digging I found "PNI = Prescott New Instructions = SSE3"
28 Sempron 3300+ has PNI
31 Best regards,
32 Daniel
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list