From: Matteo Pillon <matteo.pillon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How-to AMD Sempron 3300+
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 12:49:27
1 Hi,
2
3 On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 01:08:30PM +0200, Gian Domeni Calgeer wrote:
4 > I can't tell you if this is normal, but sse3 isn't shown in my /proc/cpuinfo
5 > either (neither is it in Gentoo nor was it in Debian before I switched to
6 > Gentoo) (I have a Sempron 2800+). In some Benchmark program under W****** XP
7 > (I don't remeber which one) it was stated that my Processor has SSE3, so I
8 > guess it's a bug in the linux kernel.
9
10 They aren't named sse3 in /proc/cpuinfo, they are 'pni' [1].
11 I think they aren't named sse3 because they also include
12 hyperthreading-specific instructions (not sure about this, I don't
13 have Intel CPUs with sse3 to show evidences of this).
14
15 Bye.
18 [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prescott_New_Instructions
19
20 PS: you know why Intel named its processor with the highest TDP ever,
21 'Prescott'? Just look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Prescott_Joule ;-).
24 * Pillon Matteo
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list