From: "mephist0666@×××.net" <mephist0666@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Transcoding movie DVD to MPEG4?
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 12:03:17
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 03 December 2006 18:18, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 2006-12-03, Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On 03 December 2006 15:28, Mick wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> Hi All,
9 >>>>
10 >>>> I want to copy a movie from a DVD which I bought in a shop, to another
11 >>>> DVD to take with me on holiday. I'll be playing back the copy on my
12 >>>> laptop and (if it is feasible) the hotel's DVD player.
13 >>>>
14 >>>> I thought that K3B and a double layer blank DVD+R is all I need to burn
15 >>>> an iso image of the DVD. After two expensive coasters (see other recent
16 >>>> topic) I came to the conclusion that the combination of
17 >>>> K3B/Phillips-DVD8421/Imation-DVD+R DL will just not work. I could start
18 >>>> trying out different brands of DVD+R DL, but I cannot see a sustainable
19 >>>> economic case for persevering with my coaster production. :-(
20 >>>>
21 >>> So far, I haven't managed to burn any DL DVD.
22 >>>
23 >> I had a lot of trouble burning DVDs using a USB connected
24 >> drive. I moved the drive internal and connected it directly to
25 >> the IDE controller and since have had no problems burning
26 >> either single or double layer. [IIRC, it's an vanilla OEM
27 >> Samsung drive.]
30 > Thanks for all the suggestions! My Phillips DVD writer is internally mounted.
31 > After about half way instead of flipping over and burning the second layer it
32 > just fails with an input/output error. I've tried my Gentoo OS and a Knoppix
33 > CD just in case it was a matter of OS/application settings, but the same
34 > error occurred.
39 I had problems with DVD DL media, too.
40 It stopped with a write failure just before beginning to burn the second
41 layer.
42 I tried Verbatim DL media and it worked very well.
43
44 Since then I _ONLY_ used Verbatim media, I didnt have anymore problems
45 burning.
46
47 HTH