From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Transcoding movie DVD to MPEG4?
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 19:00:12
1 On Sunday 03 December 2006 18:18, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2006-12-03, Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na> wrote:
3 > > On 03 December 2006 15:28, Mick wrote:
4 > >> Hi All,
5 > >>
6 > >> I want to copy a movie from a DVD which I bought in a shop, to another
7 > >> DVD to take with me on holiday. I'll be playing back the copy on my
8 > >> laptop and (if it is feasible) the hotel's DVD player.
9 > >>
10 > >> I thought that K3B and a double layer blank DVD+R is all I need to burn
11 > >> an iso image of the DVD. After two expensive coasters (see other recent
12 > >> topic) I came to the conclusion that the combination of
13 > >> K3B/Phillips-DVD8421/Imation-DVD+R DL will just not work. I could start
14 > >> trying out different brands of DVD+R DL, but I cannot see a sustainable
15 > >> economic case for persevering with my coaster production. :-(
16 > >
17 > > So far, I haven't managed to burn any DL DVD.
18 >
19 > I had a lot of trouble burning DVDs using a USB connected
20 > drive. I moved the drive internal and connected it directly to
21 > the IDE controller and since have had no problems burning
22 > either single or double layer. [IIRC, it's an vanilla OEM
23 > Samsung drive.]
24
25 Thanks for all the suggestions! My Phillips DVD writer is internally mounted.
26 After about half way instead of flipping over and burning the second layer it
27 just fails with an input/output error. I've tried my Gentoo OS and a Knoppix
28 CD just in case it was a matter of OS/application settings, but the same
29 error occurred.
30
31 I noticed that there are at least three DVD rip apps in portage:
32
33 media-video/dvdrip
34 media-video/acidrip
35 media-plugins/vdr-vdrrip
36
37 How do they compare?
38
39 Two more Qs:
40 Running mencoder seems to work in producing a smaller file, but it is a bit
41 choppy (drops frames). Not sure what the correct options are, this is what I
42 have used:
43 =================================
44 mencoder vts_01_1.vob -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=1 -alang en -oac
45 mp3lame -lameopts vbr=3 -o movie.avi
46 =================================
47
48 If I set it to pass=2 it fails with an error about xvid: you must specify one
49 or a valid combination of 'bitrate', 'pass', 'quantizer' settings. The think
50 is I cannot read what it says fully because the character set in my terminal
51 gets screwed up:
52 =================================
53 videocodec: XviD (720x576 fourcc=44495658 [XVID])
54 xvid: par=0/0 (vga11), displayed=1024x576, sampled=720x576
55 xvid: you must specify one or a valid combination
56 of 'bitrate', 'pass', 'quantizer' settings
57 ΣÏάλμα: ÎδÏναÏη η αÏÏικοÏοίηÏη ÏÎ¿Ï Î¿Î´Î·Î³Î¿Ï ÏοÏ
58 βίνÏεο!
59
60 ÎξοδοÏ...
62 Any idea how I can fix this?