From: Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo router: Conntrack table full
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 13:43:00
1 On Sunday 23 March 2008 03:16:16 Dan Cowsill wrote:
2 >  I
3 > also understand that its maximum is something on the order of 65000
4 > simultaneous connections.
5
6 That's a significant understatement.
7 The default limit is based on how much RAM you have, and is set very
8 conservatively.
9 /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_max sets how many connections you
10 can track.
11
12 You should also
13 drop /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_established
14 significantly. Connections can hang around for weeks, unless properly closed.
15
16 On the production linux firewalls I maintain they were happily handling
17 ~50-60k connections until I dropped ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_established to
18 432000 seconds when the conntrack table dropped to ~30k. I could drop it a
19 lot lower, but the machines cope with absolutely no issues.
20
21 Personally, I'd drop ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_established to about a day, or
22 even less, as connections won't time out if traffic continues to pass.
25 Mike Williams
26 --
27 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list