From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Persistent hal
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 16:17:58
1 2010/12/22 Jesús J. Guerrero Botella <jesus.guerrero.botella@×××××.com>:
2 > ~amd64 (which is k3b-2.0.1-r1) still depends on HAL. The last time I
3 > checked this, work was on-going to solve that. But, as of now, HAL is
4 > the only way k3b has to find devices, in gentoo at least. I remember
5 > that in the past there was a configurator where you could manually
6 > configure the devices from k3b. I don't know if that code is still
7 > there. Maybe the it is and the problem is that Gentoo removes it.
8 >
9 > The message at the end of the ebuild is suspicious in this regard.
10 >
11 >  echo
12 >  elog "We don't install k3bsetup anymore because Gentoo doesn't need it."
13 >  elog "If you get warnings on start-up, uncheck the \"Check system"
14 >  elog "configuration\" option in the \"Misc\" settings window."
15 >  echo
16 >
17 > It might be possible to disable hal via some flag and then remove the
18 > "-DK3B_BUILD_K3BSETUP=OFF" above you be able to manually configure k3b
19 > without needing HAL.
20
21 As far as I can remember I think k3bsetup was more related to changing
22 permissions on cdrecord & device nodes, not about detecting devices.