From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NSA SELinux kernel support
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2015 18:04:50
1 On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 7:25 PM, Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
2 wrote:
3
4 > Context for my replies - I only use Gentoo in a personal setting.
5 >
6 > On 01/01/2015 12:01 PM, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
7 > > I was wondering if there was any harm in disabling the NSA SELinux
8 > > support in my gentoo-sources based kernel.
9 >
10 > I've never had SELinux enabled in my gentoo kernels.
13 > > The kernel config help for the NSA SELinux options suggests that
14 > > having them enabled is optional.
15 >
16 > Yup, totally is.
19 > > If I understand it correctly, having these options on in the kernel
20 > > config alone does not imply that my system is using NSA SELinux.
21 > > According to http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/SELinux/Installation, a bunch
22 > > of other things needs to be taken care of to have SELinux on.
23 >
24 > That's correct - I don't know what software/config one needs, but
25 > SELinux is enabled/disabled/configured in userspace.
28 > > Is SElinux something that the folk here would recommend using on a
29 > > personal, rather than a production system? Or would you recommend
30 > > using something else, if anything at all?
31 > >
32 > > Thanks.
35 > I would recommend using nothing. From what little I understand about
36 > security-related stuff, SELinux constrains the resources available to
37 > programs (sockets, files, etc.) so vulnerabilities in various server
38 > programs don't lead to an entire system being compromised.
39 >
40 > SELinux is the only one I've had a bit of experience with - I run CentOS
41 > (SELinux is enabled by default) for some personal-use-only services that
42 > I want to run without dealing with Gentoo. My first step in a CentOS
43 > install is to disable SELinux (and the firewall, hehe) to avoid dealing
44 > with the pain of wading through documentation for hours on end.
45 >
46 > The one use case that seems pretty interesting for personal use is
47 > something I know for sure Ubuntu does - an AppArmor profile for all of
48 > the web browsers they ship. AppArmor, if I'm not mistaken, does a lot of
49 > the same things as SELinux, and the browser profiles guard against rogue
50 > JavaScript from doing bad things.
51 >
52 > If I got anything wrong security-wise, I'm sorry, and hopefully someone
53 > corrects it quickly.
54 >
55 > Hope this helps,
56 >