From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NSA SELinux kernel support
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2015 17:25:59
1 Context for my replies - I only use Gentoo in a personal setting.
2
3 On 01/01/2015 12:01 PM, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
4 > I was wondering if there was any harm in disabling the NSA SELinux
5 > support in my gentoo-sources based kernel.
6
7 I've never had SELinux enabled in my gentoo kernels.
10 > The kernel config help for the NSA SELinux options suggests that
11 > having them enabled is optional.
12
13 Yup, totally is.
16 > If I understand it correctly, having these options on in the kernel
17 > config alone does not imply that my system is using NSA SELinux.
18 > According to http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/SELinux/Installation, a bunch
19 > of other things needs to be taken care of to have SELinux on.
20
21 That's correct - I don't know what software/config one needs, but
22 SELinux is enabled/disabled/configured in userspace.
25 > Is SElinux something that the folk here would recommend using on a
26 > personal, rather than a production system? Or would you recommend
27 > using something else, if anything at all?
28 >
29 > Thanks.
32 I would recommend using nothing. From what little I understand about
33 security-related stuff, SELinux constrains the resources available to
34 programs (sockets, files, etc.) so vulnerabilities in various server
35 programs don't lead to an entire system being compromised.
36
37 SELinux is the only one I've had a bit of experience with - I run CentOS
38 (SELinux is enabled by default) for some personal-use-only services that
39 I want to run without dealing with Gentoo. My first step in a CentOS
40 install is to disable SELinux (and the firewall, hehe) to avoid dealing
41 with the pain of wading through documentation for hours on end.
42
43 The one use case that seems pretty interesting for personal use is
44 something I know for sure Ubuntu does - an AppArmor profile for all of
45 the web browsers they ship. AppArmor, if I'm not mistaken, does a lot of
46 the same things as SELinux, and the browser profiles guard against rogue
47 JavaScript from doing bad things.
48
49 If I got anything wrong security-wise, I'm sorry, and hopefully someone
50 corrects it quickly.
51
52 Hope this helps,
53