From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: wireless@×××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo's future directtion ?
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 02:14:07
1 On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 12:56:36 -0500
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I think the real problem is that there aren't many devs who care about
5 > Java in the first place. That isn't a policy problem - it is a
6 > manpower problem.
7
8 +1
9
10 In the past two years, I've committed much to the Java categories. That
11 grows an idea of Java's size, the manpower and what can('t) be done ...
12
13 There are BARELY policies, roadblocks or whatsoever in the way; Java is
14 just a HUGE amount of packages and the manpower they have for it is TINY.
15
16 If people want to guarantee a future for Java, it is a matter of
17 multiple people stepping up to assure it. Because the one frequent
18 committer and the multiple infrequent committers that are left, might
19 keep a small part alive of it for as long as they can make it last.
20
21 They'll probably continue to support famous apps with Java components;
22 but to be attractive to much more apps and areas like Java development
23 in general, they will need much more people to make it alive 'n kicking.