From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: acct-group packages ??
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2019 08:17:39
1 On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 09:17:17 -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2
3 > > I've not checked lately, but policy was that if an ebuild change did
4 > > not result in differences in the installed files, there was no need
5 > > for a version bump. This avoids needless recompiling of packages.
8 > Realistically, almost all ebuild changes should incur a new revision. I
9 > would much rather recompile 100 packages *and have it work* than compile
10 > 10 packages and have it crash three times requiring manual intervention
11 > because the tree is so screwed up.
12 >
13 > We have better guidelines these days:
14 >
15 > https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/ebuild-revisions
16 >
17 > but they still give developers too much freedom to be lazy and commit
18 > important changes without a revision. The "straight to stable" advice
19 > contradicts our existing stabilization policy, and the USE flag advice
20 > says that you can rely on a non-default, portage-only feature to prevent
21 > breakage.
22
23 That's pretty much how I remember it. If the existing version crash, then
24 the binaries have changed so it should be bumped, but if a dev missed out
25 a new DEPEND for chromium of libreoffice that I happen to have already
26 installed, I don't want to have to waste hours of CPU time recompiling to
27 exactly the same end point.
28
29 The most important statement in the policy is also the hardest to enforce
30 "Developers are encouraged to use common sense" :-O
34 Neil Bothwick
35
36 What is a "free" gift ? Aren't all gifts free?