From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: acct-group packages ??
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2019 13:17:32
1 On 8/5/19 3:21 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 4 Aug 2019 09:59:06 -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
3 >
4 >> I see, I got caught (again) by the favorite gentoo sleight of hand of
5 >> updating a package and not bumping its version. In my case, eudev.
6 >
7 > I've not checked lately, but policy was that if an ebuild change did not
8 > result in differences in the installed files, there was no need for a
9 > version bump. This avoids needless recompiling of packages.
12 Realistically, almost all ebuild changes should incur a new revision. I
13 would much rather recompile 100 packages *and have it work* than compile
14 10 packages and have it crash three times requiring manual intervention
15 because the tree is so screwed up.
16
17 We have better guidelines these days:
18
19 https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/ebuild-revisions
20
21 but they still give developers too much freedom to be lazy and commit
22 important changes without a revision. The "straight to stable" advice
23 contradicts our existing stabilization policy, and the USE flag advice
24 says that you can rely on a non-default, portage-only feature to prevent
25 breakage.