From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How does Gentoo deal with GCC's header fixes?
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 23:49:03
1 On 09/09/2010 10:17 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 18:26 on Thursday 09 September 2010, Volker
3 > Armin Hemmann did opine thusly:
4 >
5 >> On Thursday 09 September 2010, walt wrote:
6 >>> On 09/08/2010 03:10 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
7 >>>> When building GCC, it will scan all headers in /usr/include and apply
8 >>>> fixes to them, and then copy them and use the modified versions. Now a
9 >>>> binary distro (AFAIK) will ship the GCC modified headers, so there's no
10 >>>> problem.
11 >>>>
12 >>>> Gentoo on the other hand will work as intended by GCC only if the user
13 >>>> re-emerges GCC after every time a package is emerged that installs
14 >>>> headers. Obviously, no user does that.
15 >>>>
16 >>>> So the question is simple; does Gentoo deal with this problem in any
17 >>>> way?
18 >>>
19 >>> Maybe I misunderstand your question, but AFAIK the only reason to
20 >>> re-compile any package is if the libraries it links to have changed, no?
21 >>>
22 >>> AFAICS gcc links only to libraries installed by glibc. therefore in the
23 >>> case of recompiling gcc itself, it should need/use only the headers
24 >>> installed by glibc.
25 >>>
26 >>> (And the only reason to re-compile an existing glibc is if the linux
27 >>> kernel headers change. I always re-compile glibc when the linux kernel
28 >>> headers change, but I never thought about re-compiling gcc as well.
29 >>> Maybe I should.)
30 >>>
31 >>> Corrections are requested if I'm wrong about all of this.
32 >>
33 >> hm, I never recompile glibc after a header update.... or anything else....
36 > Me neither :-)
37 >
38 > I know I should, and why. But don't.
39
40 Just want to point out that this was about GCC's fixed headers, not
41 glibc, which makes it off-topic and completely unrelated to the original
42 topic :)