From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: Changing boot device with 2.6.36
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 22:07:38
1 On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
5 > AFAIK, initramfs is the newer preferred one and it's either one or the other
6 > with initrd being seldom used these days if at all.
7 >
8 > Many people still call it initrd even if int's initramfs in use - sort of a
9 > slang thing
12 I suspected as much. I was calling it initrd until I started reading
13 how to do one and found the new name.
14
15 I have run from the idea of doing one liked a scared little child at a
16 murder scene for the 10 years I've basically had Gentoo as my desktop
17 PC. After a couple of hours of using it I've started to think maybe I
18 should have one on every new system I do. After I got the rescue
19 environment with busybox going I could see why mdadm couldn't start
20 the RAID and knew how to fix it almost immediately. I was thinking
21 about how much time I've wasted on new bring ups where it cannot sync
22 the file system. Just being able to get around those sorts of problems
23 would have likely saved me days of time over the last decade.
24
25 Thanks!
26
27 - Mark