From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: Changing boot device with 2.6.36
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 20:10:47
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 19:18 on Wednesday 05 January 2011, Mark
2 Knecht did opine thusly:
3
4 > On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 3:50 AM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
5 > > Jörg Schaible writes:
6 > >> Alex Schuster wrote:
7 > >> > I would be surprised if it had this feature. AFAIK grub is already
8 > >> > done at this stage, the kernel has taken over. And I guess it does
9 > >> > not know about the LABEL= syntax, and has no code to scan all devices
10 > >> > for file system labels.
11 > >>
12 > >> I fear so, too. Grub finds the boot device properly, it's the kernel
13 > >> complaining about the value in the root option.
14 > >>
15 > >> > With an initramfs, the kernel runs an init script which can do various
16 > >> > stuff, like probing all devices for file system labels.
17 > >>
18 > >> I never had the need for an initrd.
19 > >
20 > > Now you do :)
21 > >
22 > > Wonko
23 >
24 > Wonko,
25 > I did my first initramfs build this last week to get RAID6 working
26 > for /. It went well and I was impressed at how much I could debug in a
27 > shell before I got it working correctly. (Big issue for me - make sure
28 > you copy all the /dev/sdX stuff you are going to need into the
29 > initramfs, and make sure mdadm is built static.)
30 >
31 > QUESTION: What's the difference between initrd and initramfs in
32 > practice. As I understand it initramfs is the newer one. I assume that
33 > means it's preferred? Or are there times when someone wants to still
34 > use an initrd?
37 AFAIK, initramfs is the newer preferred one and it's either one or the other
38 with initrd being seldom used these days if at all.
39
40 Many people still call it initrd even if int's initramfs in use - sort of a
41 slang thing
44 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com