From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: Changing boot device with 2.6.36
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 17:22:00
1 On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 3:50 AM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Jörg Schaible writes:
3 >
4 >> Alex Schuster wrote:
5 >
6 >> > I would be surprised if it had this feature. AFAIK grub is already done
7 >> > at this stage, the kernel has taken over. And I guess it does not know
8 >> > about the LABEL= syntax, and has no code to scan all devices for file
9 >> > system labels.
10 >>
11 >> I fear so, too. Grub finds the boot device properly, it's the kernel
12 >> complaining about the value in the root option.
13 >>
14 >> > With an initramfs, the kernel runs an init script which can do various
15 >> > stuff, like probing all devices for file system labels.
16 >>
17 >> I never had the need for an initrd.
18 >
19 > Now you do :)
20 >
21 >        Wonko
22
23 Wonko,
24 I did my first initramfs build this last week to get RAID6 working
25 for /. It went well and I was impressed at how much I could debug in a
26 shell before I got it working correctly. (Big issue for me - make sure
27 you copy all the /dev/sdX stuff you are going to need into the
28 initramfs, and make sure mdadm is built static.)
29
30 QUESTION: What's the difference between initrd and initramfs in
31 practice. As I understand it initramfs is the newer one. I assume that
32 means it's preferred? Or are there times when someone wants to still
33 use an initrd?
34
35 Thanks,
36 Mark